The Blue Mountains Refugee Support Group Inc (BMRSG) was formed in 2001. It is a diverse group of ordinary Australians from all sides of politics. The organisation has no specific affiliations. We are united by the vision of an openhearted Australia where people seeking refuge and asylum are treated with justice and compassion.
We are an incorporated association, registered in NSW and a registered charity. We are all volunteers. All donations go directly to our work.
Click here to view Blue Mountains Refugee Support Group Inc. Constitution
Our Core Work is to:
Bring comfort, friendship and hope through:
- Visiting people detained in Villawood Detention Centre and people seeking asylum living in the community
- Providing practical assistance including; furniture, bikes, no interest loans, referrals to legal assistance, help with employment and further training
- Assisting with: education expenses, medical expenses, swimming lessons and sporting teams
- Meeting needs as they arise if funds and volunteers are available.
We Aim To
Widen public understanding of refugee and asylum seeker issues through:
- Advocating for fair treatment of those seeking asylum through our social media and the mainstream media
- Writing submissions and engaging with politicians
- Participating in rallies and marches to highlight asylum seeker and refugee issues
- Liaising with church and other community groups to provide current and balanced information
- Organising public meetings and debates addressed by informed speakers
- Involving our schools and young people in the Christmas “Youth Shoebox Project.
- Fundraising, music events, raffles, art shows, public meetings, dinners, trivia nights, festivals,
People become refugees because they will die or be subjected to intolerable living conditions if they stay
We must address the causes of this by investing in peace and standing up for persecuted minorities
People get on unsafe boats in our region because they have no safe place in their transit country
We need to support better funding for UNHCR processing centres in our region, and rights for those refugees hosted there
We advocate for humane and fair treatment of people seeking asylum, however they get here. Our objectives include:
- Permanent protection visas for all proven refugees
- Refugee and visa claims processed in a timely and consistent manner
- An end to offshore detention, resettlement in Australia for those found to be refugees
- Limit detention of asylum seekers in Australia to 3 months. Treat those detained with respect not as criminals. Never deport those seeking asylum back to danger.
Postal address: P.O.Box 201 Wentworth Falls NSW 2782
Secretary: Brendan Doyle
ABN 99 296 621 082