Date(s) - 24/02/2018 - 11/03/2018
• On February 24 2018, Adelaide lawyer Adam Richards and his 14 year old son Ned Thorn will commence a two week charity walk from the Sydney Opera House to Parliament House in Canberra to call for all men, women and children in the Manus and Nauru Regional Processing Centres to be evacuated and provided with a safe solution that respects their human rights.
• The Regatta commences with a rally at the Opera House at 10 am Saturday February 24, and will culminate with a rally at Parliament House Canberra on Sunday 11 March.
• Adam and Ned walked almost 1200 km from Adelaide to Canberra in last year’s Regatta but this year, being gluttons for punishment, they are going national. They invite all Australians to join in with the Regatta in some way, either for the rallies, on the road to walk with us at various stages, or to take part by posting in the social media campaign or going on your own local walk during those two weeks in a parallel event known as the Regatta of Hope.
• Adam, Ned and their team agree with the 12 former Australians of the Year who recently noted in their open letter to the Australian Government that the situation on Manus and Nauru has moved beyond the political and is now a humanitarian crisis. As such, we invite everyone to join in the Regatta and take this opportunity to stand for an approach to refugees and asylum seekers which provides for our own safety without harming those who have turned to us for theirs.
• We particularly invite older Australians who remember an Australia that was a world leader in the compassionate and ethical treatment of refugees and asylum seekers. We are also keen to see children involved and invite schools, community, sporting and church groups to come along together either to join in the main walk or to participate in the Regatta of Hope in your local area.
• The Refugee Regatta 2018 is non-political and is organised by friends, family and refugee advocates from Adelaide. We are pleased to have the support of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre. We will not stand for offshore detention, so we are walking to end it.
• The RefugeeRegatta of Hope highlights that the total distance from Canberra to Manus and then Nauru is around 5 925 km one way.
For further information or to join the campaign go to:
Jane Salmon, Publicist: 0417 919 354
Jenny Richards, Co-convenor: 0433 408 257
Adam Richards, Convenor: 0411 220 660 (messages, text)