Your support is invaluable as it is through your help that BMRSG can support asylum seekers and refugees living in detention and the community. Many of those living in the community have no right to work and living on Centrelink support of approximately $20 to $25 a day. Donated funds are used for, but not limited to:
- Medical expenses – many have no or limited access to Medicare
- Food – after rent etc, many have little left to buy food
- Buying goods – e.g. pillows, rice cookers
- Electricity costs – the electricity bills, particularly in winter, can come as a shock.
- Transport costs – Most are not eligible for transport concession
- Telephone cards – at times they just run out of money but need to call home